[What Does Leadership Means to You?] – Nanda’s Perspective
Hey AIESEC.. !??
What’s Up !!!
The success of a structured organization depends on effective leadership. Executive leaders are responsible for determining and guiding the direction and purpose of an organization by setting and achieving goals. There are many other leaders critical to the success of a business, many of which may not even have a leadership title.
Leadership is the act of guiding a team or individual to achieve a certain goal through direction and motivation. Leaders encourage others to take the actions they need to succeed. To be a great leader, it is necessary to learn and cultivate the skills it takes to be effective. Fortunately, anyone can develop these skills with time and practice.
Benefits of strong leadership skills
There are many benefits to learning leadership skills, including:
- You can quickly recognize your strengths and weaknesses. Growing as a leader means learning what you do well and areas you may need to improve so both you and those you lead can read your potential. You will learn your strengths and weaknesses quickly because they are often multiplied and reflected by the team, project, meeting, or other entity you are managing.
- You can better understand the company’s direction. As you take on more leadership responsibilities, it is necessary to learn more about the goals of your company. Learning more about your company’s outlook can help you align your goals to succeed within the organization. It will also help you set defined goals for yourself and your team.
- You can increase the motivation of your team. Learning more about becoming an effective leader may help you find the best ways to motivate your team, whether it is by recognition, rewards, or incentives. Motivating your team well may increase their productivity and morale, helping you to achieve goals quickly.
- You can unify your team. Leadership works well when you have a clear vision or goal. Understanding exactly what you want to achieve will help you define the direction your team should take. When your team clearly understands the goals and their responsibilities in achieving them, they can work together to succeed.
- You can retain more team members. When you know how to lead your team well, they can achieve more and experience a feeling of accomplishment. Feeling accomplished will help boost your team’s morale and they may be more likely to stay with you and the company.
Being a good leader is too much pressure. You put yourself on risk, you take all the feedbacks whether it’s good or not, you must put yourself in the most terrible situations, you encourage people to keep going with what you’re gonna do together in order to achieve goals, you motivate them, etc. Even though it’s kinda hard for the leader itself to manage and maintain everything, but they definitely learn a lot from those things. For example, how they make decisions, how to figure things out with the team as a leader, how to prevent miscommunications, what to do to reach effective communications.
Nonetheless, having a chances to being a leader in some groups/teams it’s a great opportunity that I got from AIESEC. Not only just a basic understanding, but also connections through the partnership that they have to help me grow as a great leader in such time as a young teenager, who will keep growing and learning and came out as a great, humble, independent, confident leader to possibly change the world to be a better place for humankind, Peace.
Nanda Putra Maiga
Manager of Administration & Legal
AIESEC in BINUS 20/21